06 August 2017

Creative Sundays - My LIttle Pony Project


I'm so excited!  I love My Little Pony.  Yeah, Pinkie Pie can be a bit annoying at times but I love how it shows that different personality types can come together to be the best of friends.  That, and where one has a weakness there's a friend who can help with her strength.

The first steps in my project are to start on the body for Fluttershy and then fix Twilight Sparkle's dress.

A lot of the time I don't follow to pattern.  I may take someone's pattern and then adjust it for what I feel I need for a project at any given time.  Ultimately, what I end up making may look vastly different that what the original pattern called for.  Plus, I don't generally write down what changes I made.  I will go ahead and link the patterns I will use, but don't expect your project to turn out the same as mine.  Besides, I love giving hard working pattern makers a little virtual hug.


I've decided on a pattern by Vanja at amiguruibb.com. It is a doll done in one piece meaning there is very little sewing or attaching parts.  I love the shape and the fact that it would be virtually impossible to lose pieces, as I have done on an occasion or five.

The dresses will be different matter entirely.  My first attempt was off the cuff and it shows.  So I searched around for free doll dress patterns and/or pattern making instructions and found this instead.
Pinterest is my bestest friend.  Its measurements are for a girl's dress but as you can see the concept is so simple it could easily be reduced to a doll size.

Thank you for the idea, Stef at thegirlinspired.com! 

Also my real life best friend convinced me that I didn't need to reinvent the embroidery wheel, and so I'm going to cut out the star I already have and then fabric glue it to the new dress.  I'm also considering doing some kind of cute border to hid the rough edge.

                              *                             *                              *

For those interested, the first part of the application process for Feel Better Friends is to use their pattern and make a doll similar to what I would be doing when I am assigned a child.  They encourage their applicants to find a sick child or just a child in need, and I have just the person.

My little 3 year old niece was camping when she tripped and partially fell into an active fire pit.  She avoided burns to most of her body but her poor cute foot was burned with 2nd and 3rd degree burns.  We're currently waiting to hear if she needs surgery or not to repair the 3rd degree part, but these last few weeks have been horrific for her and her poor mother.  Visits to the burn unit are not fun for anyone, let alone a toddler.  But we have some amazing staff out here at Primary Children's Medical Center so the visits are less traumtic than they could be.  I have a feeling that a dolly that looks JUST like my cutie pie would make those visits a little more palatable.  I will be doing that in my spare time but will keep you updated on the doll's progress.

                            *                                 *                                *

EDIT:  I am including the pattern that I used with Twilight Sparkle to make her head, body and arms. Be aware that having a basic knowledge of symbol patterns is very helpful -

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mite/diagram/crochetedCat.html            
                  

~~~  Scrappywheelz  ~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment